I don't have any thoughts to share this time, but it's been a long time since I wrote anything so I'll post the facts.
We started school this Tuesday. I have 12 students and that is a 33% increase from last year. It makes a huge difference! And there is a possibility for 2 more, which would make a more than 50% increase. I've been interested in math lately for no apparent reason, but today I printed off tons of math fact worksheets so maybe that has something to do with it. :-) It is fun to see how far kids go in just one year. That means, though, that you have to remember to go back at the beginning of the year. I forget sometimes how hard it is to read and especially write what I expect when you're just coming off of summer vacation and just starting 3rd grade with its completely different expectations. My students are really neat though. I have one who has the sunshinyest smile you could ever hope to see. Yesterday I learned that he loves math. Another is so tiny you'd almost think she was really delicate, but actually she's one of the spunkiest in the class. Another is always trying things and eager to learn the next interesting piece of information... it's fun because I barely know them yet but have the chance to get to know them plenty more through the year!
I'm so excited to be back in school again after the summer. Vacation was lovely, but I haven't had that much solid time off ever in my life, I don't think. For sure not since I left for college. I don't really know what to do with myself when I'm not working... so I went for several visits (weddings, sister's graduation, visit to grandparents), tried to jog more (but found that the heat saps my energy like none other!), tried to play more music (guitar is going well; flute needs a bit more organization), and wished I knew what else to do. Now that I've started school I remember huge lists of things I could have been doing... like organize my "office." That's okay. Next summer maybe I'll have a list of things saved up so I can remember.
My allergies are really bugging me this fall. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to the outdoors but I also love to spend time there, so there's little to do except take Walmart's version of Claritin and take my contacts out earlier every night.
It's been neat to have the opportunity to get to know a few people in the church better this summer. I even got to help bake Zuni oven bread, which was really fun! It was also fun because three work groups came through and I got to just barely meet all of them. Usually I overlapped their visits by about 2 days. :-) But it was fun to see so many energetic people. Also, one time when my car was having issues, one of the guys working on the school property just happened to have some mechanical expertise. So he was able to give me some advice which was very needed.
I think that's it. Except, did you know that sunflowers grow wild? Taller than me? And God still paints the sunset as beautifully as ever, and different every evening. I love Him.
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
no i didn't know sunflowers grow wild, but i'm glad they do. also i just sneezed - maybe that was in sympathy for your allergies. i'm glad you posted on your blog and that i read it. you are awesome.
Post a Comment